Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Patina

Yep he gave me ten bucks for the wok he burned up.I went out with my ten bucks to get a new one. Found it.
A real beauty, about 16" in diameter made of hammered Chinese steel.It cost more than ten bucks but it is Chinese hammered steel.While I was at it I picked up a new wooden spoon.Another fine example of Chinese craftsmanship. A good 20" long and made of beechwood. $1.77 us.
I had to get these back to the apartment to play with them.
The carboard packaging around the wok gave the instructions on how to season your new Chinese hammered steel wok.
First clean off the manufacturerer's shipping coat of grease or shellac or what ever they use to protect it from rust on the journey to the middle of the USA. Next put it on the stove ,pour in a couple of tbsp of oil and heat it up swirl it around the bottom and up the sides, let cool repeat 4 or 5 times. A rich patina will start to form. The patina only becomes richer with use.
I was on my third cycle of oil, heat, swirl, cool, when something on tv got my attention.
I stepped around the corner to see what was going on on tv , must have been standing there all of ten seconds.
I heard " OH MY GOD! FIRE. THERE'S A FIRE"
It was D
I went back around the corner and shit, a fire, there was a fire in my new Chinese hammered steel wok.
I caught a glimps of D's back as he was bailing out.I walked over put a lid on the wok .Out went the fire.
Then I heard the smoke detector.Stepped in the hall way to attend to that but D was already on it. Waving a book at it to clear it of smoke and stop the noise. Good thing we have books laying all over the place.
Went back into the kitchen to check out the wok . Peeked under the lid ,more clouds of smoke so I left it.About ten minutes later everthing had cooled down. I checked out the damage.My new spoon charred. Wok; a patina had formed alright. It was black but it wasn't rich.All is not lost though. A charred spoon will impart a smoky barbeque flavour to dishes that it is used to prepare. Everyone likes barbeque. The wok is a blacky bluey sort of colour, but not warped. And as the Chinese say a warped wok won't wok.......(tsk..couldn't help it)
Having my wits about me when it came to putting out the fire prevented a visit from the fire department. We wanted to see if those guys are as friendly as the cops. We'll just have to wait 'til next time.
later........................
Oh ya, gun show , next week,FFA hall, can't wait. 100 tables, 8' long, filled with guns
Assimilation......................... Resistance is futile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home